Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Here is a blog post on some random/cool things I haven’t mentioned in other posts.


The publication of BO Focus

The reason I chose to study media was the opportunity to communicate with the public and create positive social change.  So the response to the publication of our BO Focus affirmed my reasons for choosing this career! I had unexpectedly become a part of the team working on the ‘Food security’ issue after the original writer mysteriously disappeared mid-project. We had been given instructions by Madame Phuntsho to make the Focus more reader friendly. With these instructions we set about revamping the publication from a text-heavy report style publication to something that was eye catching and would actually interest people.

As you can imagine, we were pretty nervous when publication date came around but we needn’t be worried as feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Madame Phuntsho received a call from a member of National Council who was extremely impressed with the content and layout. He promised to raise some of the issues covered at the next sitting of National Council. As a writer, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing something you’ve written have an impact with its audience. Furthermore, seeing the media being taken seriously by members of the government is a reassuring step forward in the development of Bhutanese democracy.

The working group for the Focus included Deeptika (business manager), Sushil (designer), myself and Noa Jones. Noa is a writer from the US who has had a long history in the media and worked at plenty of publications. I learnt so much from her about the process of putting together a publication - from drafting the initial outline to the final layout.  The biggest lesson I learnt is that it’s not just about what you write, but how you present it. Food security isn’t exactly the most riveting topic but by being creative with the presentation of the publication I think we managed to make it a little bit more exciting!

Working on the Focus reignited my passion for print media and I’m thinking about starting up a “Focus style” publication at the university next year!


National Assembly and High Tea with the Royals
I was lucky enough to attend the opening session of the 6th session of National Parliament on November 19th. Although all the speeches were spoken in Dzongkha, the ceremonial aspect was fascinating. It began with the procession of the MPs into the hall led by His Majesty the 5th king (or K5 as the locals call him). The MPs were presented with a series of 20 gifts representing each of the dzongkhags (districts). These included doma (of course), tea, cheese, apples and oranges.  After the ceremony the royal family, VIPS, MPs and the media (that’s me :) ) were invited to High Tea in the courtyard. It was quite a surreal feeling being surrounded by such important people and of course the man whose face is plastered all over Bhutan (K5)! I spoke with the opposition leader, Tshering Tobgay, about his recent win against the government in the country’s first constitutional court case. He keeps a blog about politics in Bhutan and it is a VERY interesting read. http://www.tsheringtobgay.com





At BBS Headquarters in Thimphu
BBS Public Service Broadcasting Conference – laying the foundations for Public Service Broadcaster in Bhutan
The great thing about working in Bhutanese media at this time is that I am able to witness  all the foundations being laid for the future of the industry. This is something I missed out on in Australia by about 100 years.

I recently represented the Observer at a conference on public broadcasting in Bhutan.  At the moment BBS is the only television broadcaster in Bhutan and it’s state funded.






The focus of the conference was:
-       Whether there was the need for a Public Service Broadcaster in Bhutan?
-       The structure that a PSB in Bhutan would take on?
-       Is BBS already functioning as a public service broadcaster?

On the second day of the workshop we worked in small groups to develop a model for public broadcasting in Bhutan. I was in the group that discussed issues of independence and sustainability. We were facilitated by Ms. Gerda Meuer, Managing Director of the Deutsche Welle Academy in Germany. It was pretty cool to be able to work so closely with someone who has such an impressive history in the media and who is the head of such a huge organization. On top of this, she was the only female presenter at the conference.

With the heads of Deutsche Welle
Dr Tepchai Yong, of Thai Public Broadcasting, was by far the most interesting and inspirational speaker at the conference. Like Madame Phuntsho, he is committed to  a completely independent media that is free of state control. In Thailand this is no easy feat. During Thailand’s recent political crisis TPB was the sole broadcaster that refused to give into the government’s demands to cease programming in spite of threats of violence. As part of their commitment to serving all sections of society, TPB runs citizen journalism workshops that they take out to rural areas and encourage impoverished and rural Thai people to suggest and develop content.

Another interesting fact we learnt from Tepchai is that Public Broadcasting in Thailand is funded by tax from alcohol and cigarettes! They call this “sin tax”. I will certainly feel better about sipping Pina Coladas on the beaches of Koh Samui!

The whole conference gave me a better appreciation of the idea of PSB and the responsibilities that this entails. Throughout the discussions I kept thinking about how the ABC measures up. There was a strong perception amongst the Bhutanese that it is impossible to have an editorially independent PSB that’s funded by the state. However, based on my perceptions of the ABC, in comparison to other news outlets in Australia, I’d have to disagree. I find that the ABC is one of the few television stations that offers any level of critical analysis of government policy. And we only have to look to programs such as The Chaser’s War on Everything to see that the ABC is definitely not a mouthpiece of the state.

Because of the social responsibility of social broadcasting, it’s definitely a part of the media that I’m passionate about and could see myself working in. I’d love to be involved with either developing content or the editorial team in this industry.


Trip to Taktsang Monastery/ Tiger’s Nest
Tiger's Nest!
Taktsang Dzong is undoubtedly the most recognized landmark in Bhutan. Google anything to do with Bhutan and it will inevitably be accompanied by a photo of a stunning monastery perched on top of a cliff. Legend has it that Guru Rinpoche flew to Taktsang ona flying tiger. Unfortunately, flying tigers weren’t available on the day we visited so our only option was to take the 1.5 hr walk up to Taktsang.  The walk up to Taktsang was relatively easy apart from some dauntingly steep stairs. However the trip down was another story!

My friend Kezang and I had stopped at a “hole in the wall” type restaurant and eaten momos for breakfast. We were there pretty early (especially by Bhutanese standards) and after tasting the first momo I suspected that they had reheated them from the night before (or perhaps even earlier). My suspicions were confirmed as we began the descent from Taktsang and I felt an acute pain in my stomach as if someone had thrust a knife in there and was twisting it. The pain became so bad that I couldn’t walk. Unfortunately the only way to get help was to make the 1hr walk back down.

I felt SO sorry for my Bhutanese friend Kezang, who had taken me to Taktsang. The poor guy was helpless to do anything as this foreign girl curled up on the forest floor and howled in pain. I couldn’t take it anymore and forced myself to throw up. The pain didn’t go away but it did subside enough to get myself back down to the base of the walk.

I’ve decided that if childbirth is more painful than what I experienced I might reconsider becoming a mother!



My big project
 I’ve also been working on the promotional project for the Observer. I can’t say too much about it because we want to keep it under wraps until it’s completely finished, but I’m really happy with what we’ve come up with! I’m working with an insanely talented person and I’m very excited about the final product!


No comments:

Post a Comment